The ailment and the fix

  • March 09, 2017
  • By Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky
  • 12 Comments

1) Dry, itchy scalp.  Winter and the cold temperatures always wreaks havoc on my scalp and while I suppose I could use coconut or argan oil to moisturize, these treatments require time to work (ie. it has to stay in your hair/on your scalp for 15-20mins) and quite frankly, I just don't have the time to do that. Ok, I lie - I don't want to do that because lazy.

Instead, I turn to Selsun Blue.  This winter has been especially brutal; the temperatures dropped fast and with my changing hormones, my scalp was on fire - itchy, dry and gross dandruff.  Selsun Blue cleared that shit up in 2 shampoos and has never returned.

Can be found at Walmart. It's a bit pricey but you only need a little dollop for this to work.



2) When you feel that your hair needs washing daily.  When I used to use regular shampoo, I always felt like my hair needed washing every day; it felt oily and weird and had a certain smell if I didn't wash it every day...it's hard to explain.

Once I switched to natural shampoo, that all changed.  I now only wash every 3 days, sometimes 4, and gone is that weird, oily feeling and smell.  These three products below work equally well and can be found at your local health food store.



3) Dry skin.  If you have dry, dehydrated skin, *skin oils are your greatest weapon and it's no secret how much I love my oils.  I use these two oils on a regular basis and they've done wonders for my skin.  Can be found at your local health store for under $20/bottle.
*everyone reacts to skin oils differently; make sure you patch test oils before purchasing.


4) Dry lips.  I hate dry lips; I hate the feeling and I hate the gross, peely way it looks which is why I have searched high and low (and spent all kinds of ridiculous money) for the perfect lip balm and I've found it -- a natural lip balm by Martina Gebhardt.  It's the only lip balm that goes on once and I don't have to apply it for several hours later. With other lip balms, I felt like I had to apply it all the time but not this one...this keeps my lips soft, smooth and hydrated.
I tote this thing everywhere I go hence, why it looks so beat-up.


5) Joint pain, muscle pain, nerve pain, carpal tunnel, strained muscles, inflammation...basically anything musculoskeletal-related.  Acupuncture is your friend.  

it's no secret that I boast about acupuncture on a regular basis on this here blog because I fully believe in the healing powers of our bodies and acupuncture taps into that.  Every time I have some kind of injury (joint, muscle, tendon, ligament etc), acupuncture has healed it completely.

When I had awful carpal tunnel that plagued me for years, it was 90% better after just 2 treatments. I did 6 treatments just to be 100% sure it wouldn't come back. It hasn't....that was over 10 years ago.

When I pulled my back picking Kayla up and was eating muscle relaxants prescribed by my doc for two weeks, I went to my acupuncturist and only after 1 session of acu and cupping, it was healed the next day.

When the skin on my face freaked the fuck out due to unstable hormones (I'm talking about red, raw, hyper-sensitive skin that hurt just to talk or yawn), I suffered through that for a week before seeing my acupuncturist who cleared that shit right up in just one treatment (this is also what turned me onto facial acupuncture).

Whenever I have limited range of mobility in my shoulders and arms due to muscle tension from training (which is all the time), a little acu and cupping gives me back full range of motion after the session.

6) when you start to feel like you're coming down with something (including sore throat).  hot water, fresh ginger and honey.  Make this tea and drink it all day - you'll feel so much better in the morning.

what are some of your go-tos for ailments?

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Hot water with ginger & honey, YES! I do that a lot during the winter but I always add lemon. And sometimes add some turmeric and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elderberry extract daily to keep me in fighting form. I made my own for the first time this year and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how do you do the ginger with that tea? Cut off a piece? what size? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the recommendation for tea with an impending sore throat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Selsun Blue -- and I need to try this sickness remedy, as I feel like I'm ALWAYS on the verge of getting sick -- thanks to daycare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep I definitely swear by the ginger and honey, it works! And elderberry. I really want that lip balm, need to find that somewhere here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on the hunt for that lip balm because I suffer from chapped lips and it is embarrassing to walk around with crusty, gross lips! I'm getting ready to place my next Amazon order (I wait until I reach the free shipping amount) and I've already added the sukin rose hip oil you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely need to find someone who specializes in acupuncture around here. It's been on my mind ever since I read about your treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great list. I'll have to try those shampoos. I have had the opposite problem. I find that eco shampoos are oilier and hard to wash out. What my dry hair used to be now has a very oily scalp. Ick. :( When I feel sick I put a natural vick's type thing on my feet and then fuzzy socks. I also put it on my chest and neck. I swear by using my humidifier at night on a regular basis. I love kitchen quick fixes. I never ever ever ever buy buttermilk. I just make it. etc. Xo - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the natural shampoo idea! I've been trying to stretch out to washing every other day, but I tend to just load up on dry shampoo on my off days, which seems worse than just regular shampoo sometimes. So I'll definitely give one of those a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coconut oil mixed with lemon essential oils! As soon as my throat starts to hurt I rub this on the sides of my neck and it works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to get on that lip balm train. I like my vaseline rosy lip stuff but a natural one you say. Sold. I am already using that argan oil. And I am a fan of most of those shampoos too.

    ReplyDelete