The Little Things in Life

  • September 13, 2017
  • By Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky
  • 16 Comments

Although we didn't have much of a summer, we sure are having one hell of an incredible  September.  The weather has been perfect lately -- sunny days with cool breezes means I can leave all of my windows open and breathe in the fresh air. I love days like that.  At this moment, I'm sitting in my bright kitchen, in front of my (open) sliding door listening to the cicadas chirping as I type this; the cool breeze gently flowing in.  It's quiet and serene and it's times like these where I feel that things are amazing and as they should be.
I'm no stranger to hard times and in the craziness that's been going on, I refuse to let the negative thoughts camp out in my brain so instead, I focus on the positives:

+ Re-reading favourites.  With the IT reboot opening in theaters, I decided to reread this classic that I've had on my bookshelf for 28 years.  28 years, wow.  The spine is creased, the cover is beat up, the pages have yellowed and it continues to be one of my all time favourite books.  I remember buying this book when I was in grade 7 and instantly falling in love with it.



+ Enjoying the quiet day.  I spend a lot of time in my craft room tinkering around, creating things or organizing.  When I'm not down there, I'm upstairs curled up on my favourite LazyBoy reading with the open windows letting in a gentle breeze.  Ok, I'll admit that I go upstairs to read (see above) because it's creepy AF.

+ Figuring things out.  I've had my Silhouette Curio for a year now and never really sat down to fully explore (or tweak/optimize) the settings and what it can really do.  It wasn't until last week when I took the time to read/research everything and found the perfect settings to make my stickers/cards/paper crafts, not to mention printing hacks to save/maximize sticker paper.

+ Music.  I found a great radio station that plays 90s hits so that's been blasting while I'm crafting, organizing or just being.

+ Stepping away/taking a break....and being ok with it.  Sometimes you need to reevaluate your routine to make changes for the better and you need to take a break from things that are maybe not as good for you at the moment.  For me, I've stepped away from social media/internet usage, reduced gym time so that my shoulder can actually heal and just being open to different things/ways of thinking to solve problems.

+ Wine.  Because it makes everything ok, amirite?!

What are some of your favourite (little) things in life?

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. So I had considered the Silhouette Curio and the Cricut to try to be more crafty and create some things on my own. Do you recommend them? I dont even know 100% what I want to do yet. I have really started to change the way I think/problem solve/handle things lately and have been a lot less judgy and more open. I think maybe it comes with age? I dont know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read IT, can you believe it? I'm a horror junkie, too! Did you see the new movie? We saw it and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all wonderful little things which make life happy. IT scares me, I'm staying away from the book and the movie, eeeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two big thumbs up for stepping back and being loyal to your needs versus vigilantly sticking to a routine when it's not quite right. The slow routine of your days lately sounds so serene. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember watching it when I was younger and being absolutely terrified! Now I cannot wait to go watch the new version in theaters. I will also have to try reading the book! I am almost ashamed to admit that I finally read my first Stephen King book this year! I was so afraid it would give me nightmares for months ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wine definitely makes everything alright. I saw the movie It last weekend and now I really want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes my favorite thing is to sit on my couch with a candle lit and read a book. I've started running and listen to Green Day radio on Spotify when I go. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember trying to read IT when I was in middle school because my older cousin who I idolized was reading it. I didn't like it then haha.
    Love the wine and changing up a routine if it's not working. And taking the time to evaluate IF something needs to be changed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this girl! It really is the little things that make life that much sweeter! Reading and crafting . . . sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never read IT because scary clowns freak me out. I want to read it (and see the movie too) but I'm afraid I'll never be able to sleep again. It's possible I'm a bit dramatic. :D The world is crazy right now and I'm still struggling to find my balance. It feels like bad news comes 3 times a day and my ability to process and maintain some semblance of happiness is hard. We had a beautiful day yesterday and I was like 9 months of this please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember buying IT on a school trip to give as a gift to my brother ... but started reading it on the bus-ride home so had to finish it before wrapping it up. My son's reading it/IT now -- generation time-warp. I'm all about the reading and crafting - and wishing I could somehow do both at the same time without switching to audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, its undoubtedly the little things that make us better. I was just re-reading a book i read as a child aout 5 million times (bingo brown the gypsy lover) and I thought, this is such a simple pleasure.

    Unrelated to post - i remember once you posted about getting rid of ants. What is it that you used. I have a terrible ant situation and my ants seems to be immune to some of the recs online (vinegar and water doesn't work with them lol)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read IT. I have watched the original movie like 3 times this week & its so corny - I laugh that it freaked me out when I was little. Now the new one? HOLY FREAKING CLOWN!!!! That thing looks horrifying

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't remember if I've ever read IT...
    I totally don't blame you for wanting to be in a less creepy space when reading a super creepy books. Haha!

    ReplyDelete